Thursday, April 8, 2010

LIFE: WHAT A BEAUTIFUL GIFT

The last few days I have been thinking about the preciousness of life. What a beautiful gift it is and I wonder if I take it for granted. A YWAMer on our base recently had a terrible snowboarding accident and, among other things, lost his spleen, had his right shoulder and upper arm completely reconstructed using metal plates, and has no feeling or movement in his right arm. The doctors say that during surgery he almost died many times from loss of blood. They completely replaced all of his blood through transfusions. What a crazy, scary, out-of-nowhere experience! He has a wife and 3-month-old baby. The doctors are saying that if the nerves in his arm don't repair within a year, he will probably lose his arm. If you think of them, their names are Garrett & Sarah and I know they would appreciate your prayers.

Garrett's response to all of this has totally moved me. He is so thankful to be alive! Every moment with his wife or baby son is so precious to him now. I was told a story about them walking through Costco and Garrett saying to Sarah, "Man, we almost didn't get to do this together." Wow! While in the hospital bed, Garrett led his brother-in-law to Jesus. He is thankful for every moment and has become so aware of the fleetingness of life. I don't think he will ever be the same again.

It has made me examine my life in a whole new way. It has made me love my husband more and appreciate the smiles I get from my girlies. I am in wonder at the sovereignty of God. When Katelyn was born and her delivery was so difficult and I almost died, my faith and trust in God were shaken. I didn't respond with thankfulness. I was so hurt and confused by the situation. But now I see that life is a gift! My life, family, kids, friends, being involved with missions, getting the chance to speak into people's lives ... what a huge, beautiful gift.

My challenge for all of you today is that you would examine your life and heart and see if you have taken anything for granted. I challenge you to be thankful and enjoy the blessings God has given you. And I ultimately challenge you to make a difference in the time that you have. It is true that we don't know how long we'll be in this world, so go ... go make a difference for Jesus.

1 comment: